Land O'Lakes to close cheese plant, expand another

by Monica Watrous    View Me on Google+
Search for similar articles by keyword: [Cheese], [Dairy]

ARDEN HILLS, MINN. – Land O’Lakes, Inc. has announced plans to close a cheese plant in Denmark, Wis., and increase capacity at its Kiel, Wis., cheese plant.

The company said the provolone and mozzarella semi-soft Italian cheese products produced at the Denmark plant had not been profitable in recent years. Land O’Lakes said it will discontinue manufacturing the products and close the site July 1, upon which member milk shipped to the facility will be sold to an unrelated third party.

The company is planning a multi-million dollar investment in its Kiel plant, where cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese products are produced. Improves will include new milk silos, new cheese vats, upgraded whey receiving and a new vat room. The total planned investment was not disclosed.

The announcement follows a strategic review to maximize growth opportunities and expand market access for the company’s member owners.

“Wisconsin is a key growth area for Land O’Lakes, and decisions such as this will help us achieve our aggressive growth goals,” said Chris Policinski, president and chief executive officer of Land O’Lakes. “The investments at our Kiel plant will provide our members with increased opportunities to grow production in this critical region for our company.”

By Cheryl hansen 1/13/2017 9:36:47 AM
Would you please please bring back the 2 lb box of land o lakes cheese??? Why did you discontinue it? There is no substitute fir it! We are devastated

By Kathy 11/18/2016 4:36:25 PM
Just want you folks to know that I too love the cheese. Was very disappointed when I could not find it. One day I was in the deli section at Walmart and there it was in with all the other cheese. 5lb blocks and you can get as much as you like..

By Pamela 9/24/2016 4:36:21 PM
I don't understand why you got rid of the best cheese ever my family hates cheese the only cheese that they will eat is Land O Lakes I haven't had a grilled cheese sandwich I don't get to make my cheesy potatoes please please I beg you bring back Land O Lakes please

By sue 8/22/2016 9:50:48 AM
Oh please bring back the 2# bring brick /loaf. Since you've stopped making it I had to stop making my cheesy chicken wild rice soup. Nothing else works!

By Ginny Paradis 5/25/2016 11:27:41 AM
Please bring back the two pound loaf of American cheese. It is, without a doubt, the best! It is such a disappointment to not find it in any of the grocery stores.

By Ginny Paradis 5/25/2016 11:26:39 AM

By Virginia Keegan 11/5/2015 11:22:51 PM
Add me to the list. Really disappointed that it's gone. I don't like cheese food.

By P dauffenbach 3/23/2015 7:39:10 PM
Are you making the 2lb. Loaf do lol cheese? Where can I buy it at. It was, is the best cheese ever, have eaten it for years and can't find it any more.

By Donna Church 3/13/2015 9:11:59 AM
n you tell me why I can't and where I can..... My family is not happy with a cheese recipe since not having it.

By Berni 3/5/2015 7:25:51 PM
Please, oh please, keep making the 2 or 3 lb block cheese. I have looked all around Central MN to no avail. We hope you're not discontinuing it.

By Sue schmalz 3/5/2015 5:55:34 PM
Please bring back the cheese loaf.....I use to purchase this at Super One foods in Ironwood Mi.....have been told it is no longer available ??

By Annette daher 2/11/2015 8:59:38 PM
frustrated long time customer. Our favorite brand of cheese for our household has been LandO'Lakes American cheese in block or loaf form. After it was no longer carried by Cub Foods and they had no reason why when asked. We have looked everywhere to no avail. Please offer guidance where the consumer can located one of our favorite products.

By Annette daher 2/11/2015 8:58:54 PM

By Chris Larson 1/5/2015 1:11:28 PM
I have eaten LOL cheese my entire life. My father worked for LOL and I also worked for LOL. I am extremely upset that I am no longer able to find the American Cheese loaf. It is the ONLY cheese that I will eat. Please bring this cheese back ASAP. My granddaughters will also only eat this cheese.

By Michelle Graber 12/20/2014 8:41:57 PM
So sad that we can no longer find the American Cheese loaf. It is a family favorite and was a staple. Our favorite American cheese. Is there anywhere we can purchase it? We've looked in Cub, Walmart, Target.

By Jayme 12/15/2014 10:44:12 AM
Please bring back the 2# loaf! It is a family favorite that we have so many recipes built off of!

By Jayme 12/15/2014 10:44:11 AM

By Jennifer 12/9/2014 10:58:29 PM
I was so sad when I went shopping and couldn't find LOL 2 lb American cheese on the shelf. The spot in the shelf was replaced with Bogards cheese? Sadly I could only find one small package of presliced LOL in the whole store! What happened !? Would love to see the american come back! Its was only american cheese bought in our house growing up and the only kind I bought for my kids. Grilled cheese has not been the same...

By Joy Berg 12/4/2014 12:16:19 PM
Please bring back the 2# loaf of American Cheese. I come from a large family in Minnesota and we all miss the cheese immensly!

By robert lerohl 11/18/2014 8:24:51 PM
Please bring back the 2# loaf of american cheese. It was our favorite for years and better than any made by the Kraft Cheese Co. I can't believe you quit this product!

By Mary Sullivan 10/30/2014 1:29:10 PM
Please bring back the american cheese sold boxed, unrefrigerated, in a 2lb loaf. How can we make grilled cheese without it?

By Dustin johnson 10/28/2014 9:22:34 PM
I have been enjoying your 2 lb american cheese loaf for all of my 34 years as has all of my family and friends. My 94 year old grandmother and the rest of our family is devistated that we can no buy the only cheese that we have all loved and cherised for so many years. I and we never thought we would see this day come true. Please bring back the only cheese that should carry the label "American" because your american 2lb loaf had no equal.

By Laurie Rahm 10/27/2014 2:31:04 PM
Please, Please, Please! bring back the 2 lb loaf of Land o Lakes American Cheese. It was the best!!!! Why would you take away a product that was so popular.

By Ellen Pickerign 9/13/2014 1:44:54 PM
I have searched everywhere and need to find the land o lakes American cheese in the box. Who sells it???? it was the best in the world.

By Jill Bergstrom 8/2/2014 2:53:05 PM
Please don't stop making the Land O Lakes American cheese. I will starve to death... Lol and you will have a death on your hands. Please , please don't stop making the Land O Lakes American cheese.

By milo hartmann 7/23/2014 12:18:50 PM
Is LOL still selling the 2# american loaf? If not,what is the reason?

By Patty Kruckeberg 6/29/2014 5:37:58 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP I CAN NOT FIND ANY OF OR LAND O LAKES AMERICAN CHEESE IN THE BOX IT WAS MY FAMILIES FAVORITE. NONE OF THE GROCERY STORES AROUND CARRY IT VERY SAD N MAD