General Mills to discontinue Gluten-Free Chex Oatmeal

by Eric Schroeder
Search for similar articles by keyword: [General Mills], [Gluten-Free], [Oatmeal]
General Mills is halting production of its Gluten-Free Chex Oatmeal.

MINNEAPOLIS — General Mills, Inc. is halting production of its Gluten-Free Chex Oatmeal. The product, which was available in original, apple cinnamon and maple brown sugar flavors, was introduced last year.

“Our oatmeal products were not meeting performance expectations, and as a result, some major retailers decided to no longer carry the product,” a spokesperson for the company said. “We are no longer producing any new oatmeal. We are currently shipping the last of our inventory to retailers now with our final shipments expected in October.”

Despite the failure of Gluten-Free Chex Oatmeal to resonate with consumers, General Mills remains fully invested in the gluten-free category. The company recently created a special grain-sorting process to make its Cheerios gluten-free. Gluten-free Cheerios are available in Yellow Box, Honey Nut, Multi-Grain, Apple Cinnamon and Frosted varieties.

General Mills’ new Chex Clusters cereal is also gluten-free and features fruit pieces, rice crisps and rolled oats clustered together. The cereal contains no artificial colors, artificial flavors or high-fructose corn syrup.

By Kathy gaydos 3/5/2017 9:44:30 AM
I can't tell you just how disappointed I am that you have discontinued CHEX gluten free hot cereals. That was the best on the market and I cannot find anything comparable. If you loved me you would put it back on the market. Lol. I'll do a commercial and sell it for you

By Linda Conely 1/15/2017 8:28:37 AM
If Quaker thinks that will help their sales...WRONG. I will not buy it. It is awful.

By Linda Conely 1/15/2017 8:22:19 AM
I can not beleive it. That was the best instant oatmeal ever. Everything else is mushy. Please do not do this. Being GF is hard and you helped me through mornings.

By Linda Conely 1/15/2017 8:22:19 AM

By Beth Hurley 1/13/2017 2:59:30 PM
I'm so disappointed that you are discontinuing gluten-free Chex oatmeal. It was my favorite oatmeal. I have looked in several stores, but had no luck finding it. I hope you reconsider this decision, as it was the best GF oatmeal I've tasted. Thank you.

By Tricia Krotje 12/1/2016 8:29:01 AM
PLEASE BRING THIS ITEM BACK LOVE IT AND ONE OF THE FEW ITEMS I CAN EAT HAVING CELIAC.

By Janae Baggaley 10/28/2016 9:03:19 AM
I am very disappointed to hear that I can no longer buy your GF oatmeal for my little girl. That was her favorite thing to have for breakfast. I also love to use it in oatmeal cookies. I am grateful that the other GF products are going to continue!!!! All the cheerio flavors are amazing, and what a treat to have lucky charms!!! It is so nice to have all those options for my little 3 year old. I am so glad she can feel like a normal kid and eat the same cereals as her brother and sister!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

By Jamie 10/25/2016 11:29:56 PM
Please bring this oatmeal back. I have severe stomach issues and this is one of the only things I can eat. I was eating this 2 to 3 times I day. I am on my last box and can't find it anywhere to stock up on since you are stopping production of it. Please at least allows us to buy it online. I am sure people would be willing to pay an extra costs. I know I would !!! Please bring it back. You have no idea how this will affect so many people.

By Jamie 10/25/2016 11:23:50 PM

By REBECCA SMITH 10/10/2016 5:10:39 AM
HELLO, I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD BUT A CASE OF THIS? IT SOMEONE COULD PLEASE CONTACT ME THAT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. I KNOW YOU ARE SENDING OUT THE LAST OF YOUR SUPPLIES. I LIVE IN ERIE, PA. ZIP 16506. DIDNT KNOW IF YOU KNEW IF ANY OF THE SHIPMENTS WERE AROUND MY AREA. THANK YOU :-)

By Heidi 9/26/2016 1:29:57 PM
PLEASE bring this product back! It is so hard to find GF products that are on-the-go friendly that also taste good! I loved the apple cinnamon, maple brown sugar, and the original!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider at least making this a product customers can purchase online!

By John Candela 9/15/2016 9:21:42 AM
Of course. The one item that is at the top of my 13-year-old son's list for gluten-free products is gone! My whole family actually loved the product but my son, who has Celiac disease, ate only Chex oatmeal, no other. And I agree, it was the best-tasting on the market so I don't know where you are getting your feedback from. Gluten-free is a very big market and I see Quaker just came out with a gluten-free oatmeal. So why would you stop yours? Very disappointed.

By Anna Davey 9/14/2016 8:23:23 AM
It is too bad that GM decided to discontinue this product. It was the best gf oatmeal on the market. The problem was that you could not find it on the shelves. It was a hit/miss if you could get it. This may have been a retail thing, not sure. I agree with the 75 other comments!

By Joy 8/25/2016 11:52:54 AM
I am SO BUMMED you guys stopped making them! Please start again! Gluten Free is SO HARD to find delicious! This oatmeal tasted JUST like the regular oatmeal. Who gave you feedback that it was not up to par? I'm soooo dissapointed. I've been going in every store to look for this as I love oatmeal but have a Gluten issue and these always hit the spot. No wonder I can't find them anywhere. PLEASE put them back on shelves! The other GF oatmeals out here are DISGUSTING!!

By Kiley 8/22/2016 11:04:37 PM
:( this was my favorite oatmeal... Hopefully it will come back?!? I loooove oatmeal and this was the only oatmeal that made my tummy happy :) I always had it before morning track practices and track meets and I performed so well because it's light yet filling!! please come back!!!!!

By Kiley 8/22/2016 11:04:00 PM

By Asia Jones 8/7/2016 9:47:56 AM
I am so saddened by this news! My daughter has a wheat/gluten, milk, egg, nut...etc allergy and she absolutely Loves the apple cinnamon. I noticed 2-3 months ago the lack of my neighborhoods stock for the oatmeal , so we tried different brands. nothing compares ( not to mention the safety labels for the packaging facility, it's nice to not have to worry about whether there's traces of anything in my daughters oatmeal) So I beg of you please bring this oatmeal back. Nothing compares! My 2 yr old and I LOVE this oatmeal (and your cereal.) as well as my mother, mother-in-law, and grandparents.

By Asia Jones 8/7/2016 9:42:38 AM
No Profanity Allowed, Please Retype Your Comment.

By Breana Karr 8/4/2016 11:51:13 AM
I LOVED LOVED LOVED your Gluten Free oatmeal! Me and my mother have Celiacs disease and have to keep a gluten free diet. When the oatmeal first came out, I just gave birth to my second baby and needed to eat a healthy balanced diet. The oatmeal was so easy for me in the morning and it was good for my breast milk production. Please please please bring it back or make it available online to order! If we knew it was gone forever, we would have stocked up! My family truly loved it. My favorite was the brown sugar:)

By Jess 7/8/2016 11:43:03 PM
I don't have a gluten intolerance and I absolutely LOVED the brown sugar one and I've been searching for months now and my dad who is gluten intolerance severely has been looking for good breakfast items aside from cereal now that we think dairy is an issue as well! PLEASE BRING THIS OATMEAL BACK! or atleast make it available through online purchase?! This was the best!!!!!

By jane diamond 7/8/2016 6:36:19 PM
I love this oatmeal (the plain, gluten free one) and now you are discontinuing it. Im very sorry to hear that! Its much better than Quaker GF oatmeal. Bring it back!!!

By Elizabeth Becker 6/19/2016 10:07:11 PM
I was sad to hear this, as I really like the convenience of the bag or the individual packs. I am glad I can stop searching my local stores for it. The good news is that Quaker Oats now makes a GF oatmeal in packs and in a bulk container. So it is an easy switch!

By Elizabeth Becker 6/19/2016 10:07:10 PM

By Val 6/9/2016 8:51:23 PM
This visit horrible news! I was getting so upset with Publix, curving every location. I couldn't imagine they stopped making it!!! Couldn't you at least sell it online?? It was the best gluten free instant breakfast I'd had! You don't understand! Half the gluten free oatmeal ate the texture of birdseed. The other half are insanely overpriced and or hard to find, even by gluten free standards. I really feel the company could've continued making it and selling it online instead. But I bet they can enjoy regular oatmeal...you don't know the struggle! Haha sorry to rant, I'm just an oatmeal lover and their product have me hope. And they took it away!

By Maria 5/2/2016 7:16:45 PM
Why????? I enjoyed this oatmeal so much and it didn't get me sick. Please PLEASE, bring it back. The flavor is unique and the price was good

By Charlotte K 4/28/2016 11:25:54 AM
I have severe auto-immune related stomach problems. This one of two products that I enjoyed and didn't cause issues. I would have spent so much money and bought this in serious bulk. Bring it back - please!

By Karen Everington 4/21/2016 10:09:58 AM
I am sad to read this article. I loved the Chex Gluten-Free Oatmeal. I have tried other brands of Gluten-Free Oatmeal and they do not come close in comparison. I hope GM will reconsider their decision soon.

By Amber Lyn seals 11/23/2015 5:55:56 PM
This was the best oatmeal I have ever had! I'm so sad I can't get it anymore... I wish they would have advertised it more and tried harder to promote the product.

By Rita Klar 11/22/2015 9:04:08 AM
Sorry to see it go. It was the best gluten free oatmeal. The problem as I see it. Stores that have special gluten free items section never stocked the oatmeal there. I found it by accident in the regular oatmeal section. When a store has a deadicated section I rarely look in the regular grocery isle for gluten free items.

By Theresa Ehrlich 11/21/2015 8:12:00 PM
I can't believe it... this was a great choice for my daughter who is gluten free. Very sad you have discontinued the GF oatmeal. Please bring it back!

By SUZANNE CARTER 11/20/2015 9:45:55 AM
I LOVED THE MAPLE BROWN SUGAR CHEX GLUTEN FREE OATMEAL! LUCKILY I BOUGHT A BUNCH OF IT BEFORE IT LEFT THE SHELVES! THIS WAS SUCH A GREAT PRODUCT AND I AM SO DISAPPOINTED! THANKS FOR TRYING!!! I LOVED IT!

By Debbie 11/20/2015 9:15:32 AM
If I would have known this product was going to be discontinued I would have went to every store and bought all I could. I am very disappointed. Best gluten free oatmeal that I have had. I won't even buy the other brands.

By victoria beers 11/19/2015 10:57:31 PM
I am upset I am severally allergic to gluten and dairy and love the Chex gluten free oatmeal could really enjoy with out getting sick

By Debbi Taylor 11/19/2015 1:16:52 PM
Noooooo...say it isn't so!!!! I am VERY diappointed to hear that you discontinued your oatmeal line...obviously the stores or someone did not ask us celiac people what we thought. I LOVED the oatmeal, ate it EVERY day!!!! and so did all my other friends that have celiac. The other brands taste nasty. I hope you will reconsider...It was always being sold out at my local food stores

By Glenn Kadas 11/17/2015 7:17:21 PM
Had a bowl of Chex Gluten-Free oatmeal almost everyday. Sad to see it go.Any other brandsto take it's place?

By Shawn Betz 11/17/2015 2:15:24 PM
We should all write Chex!

By Brenda O'Brien 11/16/2015 9:34:26 PM
Noooooo! My husband loves your gluten free chex oatmeal!! When we discovered this oatmeal we couldn't believe there finally was a healthy on the go gluten free breakfast option for him. We noticed over the last month less and less availability on the shelves and were going store to store to get what they had left. Really wish this wasn't happening. Please reconsider bringing back in the near future.

By Cathy nicolaides 11/16/2015 3:25:58 PM
im a former flight attendant that traveled with packs and packs of your gluten free oatmeal around the world. It always came in handy for a quick breakfast with walnuts and dried cranberries. I went to buy it the other day and the store was out. I had no idea you had stopped. Please bring it back, it's creamy, delicious and just the right amount of sugar. Best of all, is its Gluten free.

By Tammy 11/15/2015 2:09:33 PM
Please continue to make this available. My daughter has celiac and this oatmeal is the best consistency and best taste of all the ones we have tried.

By Karen Mann- Warfield 11/15/2015 12:46:22 PM
I am so very disappointed. I bought and ate this gluten free oatmeal everyday...the first instant oatmeal I really enjoyed! Please bring it back!

By Sharyn Wojciechowski 11/15/2015 11:22:56 AM
I am very disappointed that you are taking oatmeal off the market. Several of us in my family have Celiac and we bought this all the time. It was always out of stock at the stores. I hope you will bring this back in the near future. It was a nice warm breakfast.

By Beth Cheatwood 11/13/2015 2:31:06 PM
So sad to hear this news. I was so excited when I found the GF Chex Oatmeal. Now it's gone. I have celiac disease and this is just a shame. There are very few options in an instant oatmeal for me that are as good as this was. I so hope you reconsider and bring it back.

By J Patterson 11/12/2015 9:47:25 AM
I am so disappointed to hear about your decision to discontinue this excellent oatmeal. It had such a good taste and you would never know it was gluten free. Never fails, a good product always gets discontinued

By Janet corcoran 11/12/2015 6:58:59 AM
I know you probably have good reasons for discontinuing the chex oatmeal but please let me tell you, it was the ONLY oatmeal tnat taste like regular oatmeal. I gave been gluten free for 7 years so ive tried them all. I am disappointed beyond words, so much in fact that i just ordered a bag from amazon for $12. Crazy perhaps, but ii was really getting used to eating real food again. If in the future you decide to try oatmeal again, im first in line. Kind regards, janet corcoran

By Robin DiStefano 11/11/2015 8:29:31 PM
I found Chex GF Oatmeal Variety Pack $3.36 a box on Amazon. Thought y'all might be interested in ordering a few boxes.

By yuliet boza 11/10/2015 7:12:11 PM
Please tell Chex, I want my gluten free oatmeal back. It was The BEST Oatmeal.

By Gilda Gonzalez 11/10/2015 7:10:06 PM
I can't believe this is gone! Hands down the best GF oatmeal out there. Please reconsider and bring it back. I just found it this summer and now cold weather is here and only yucky oatmeal left as a choice.

By marta Hernandez 11/10/2015 7:08:20 PM

By Steven Rein 11/10/2015 9:50:31 AM
You should talk to your retailers about product placement. If they would have put you gluten-free oat meal in the gluten-free section of the store instead of in the cereal aisle, it would have been more easily found by people who need to remove gluten from their diet. You have an excellent product and removing it for poor sales performance is short sighted.

By Stacy Colella 11/10/2015 8:12:10 AM
I have been searching at my area markets for weeks now trying to locate some more of this GF oatmeal cause I ran out. I've been an oatmeal fan since I was a little girl and recently have gone GF and I LOVE this oatmeal. I'm truly disappointed to find out that GM has decided to no longer produce it. I hope you will please re-consider as I see many other comments from others expressing their disappointment as well.

By Barbara A. Singleton 11/9/2015 2:40:10 PM
Because of gluten sensitivity I have been eating gluten free for almost a year. One of my first discoveries was the gluten free maple flavored oatmeal. I loved it, so you can imagine my disappointment first, to not seeing it on the shelves and then finding this article. I have tried a different brand and its okay but not as tasty as your product. So sorry this happened.

By barbara 11/8/2015 8:10:28 PM
I've been using and following trail of availability of Gluten free Oatmeal since I discovered it. I'm Gluten intolerant, and have loved and still use you chex cereals for many years, but the original oatmeal was my favorite. Feel the need to shop every Winn DIxie store I come across and buy out what they have. That is the only store left in my area that carries the original gluten free oatmeal. Soooo sad to be losing what I like and need.

By Amy 11/8/2015 6:25:11 AM
This is a huge disappointment. My family loves your oatmeal. Half our family has celiac disease and the other half is not. It is so frustrating when you locate a product that you love and then it disappears. I wish they could at least continue the plain oatmeal. We could always add what we like to it. I hope they reconsider their decision.

By Scott 11/7/2015 5:05:49 PM
That's such a shame. I've been eating these products for the past six months. I'd been ill and unable to keep anything down but this. Such a shame.

By Jennifer 11/6/2015 3:41:18 PM
I eat this cereal every other day for the past 6 months. I just recently got diagnosed. I buy it at Safeway 6 boxes at a time. I

By Diana 11/6/2015 3:39:00 PM

By darren 11/5/2015 12:05:32 PM
This really sucks!!!!! and not in a good way. The brown sugar was the best gluten free oatmeal I have ever had. this is so sad.

By Karen C 11/5/2015 8:15:19 AM
Nooooooo...I have Celiac and LOVE this oatmeal. This is a sad, sad day :(

By Anita 11/4/2015 2:50:36 PM
I'm so sorry to find out GF Chex is discontinued, my 6 year old son who has to have GF loved this oatmeal. There is no other comparable substitute on the Market. Hope the market demand increases and it comes back.

By Debi Bush 11/4/2015 12:38:42 PM
This is such a disappointment! I couldn't find the original anywhere. I don't want Or can not have sugar in my oatmeal and yours was the best kind. The other is so expensive & is so grainy

By Bill W 11/4/2015 12:32:34 PM
Please tell Chex, I want my gluten free oatmeal back. It was The BEST Oatmeal.

By Tish Lewis 11/2/2015 9:48:19 PM
Our whole family of 5 soon to be 6, need to be gluten free and lived on this oatmeal before school. Please consider bringing this product line back. We all loved the chex maple brown sugar and the apple!

By Robin DiStefano 11/2/2015 3:26:28 PM
So sad that Gluten-Free Chex Mix is no longer available! I would purchase six to eight boxes at a time and if I would have known about the discontinuation of the product I would have purchased more. I have two packets in my last box and will be without oatmeal. My gluten free diet is not by choice as I have an intolerance to gluten. I have tried numerous gluten free brands and none of them compare to yours. Hopefully, you might reconsider in the near future or make it available online.

By Katie 11/1/2015 8:17:47 PM
So upset to hear this. We are gluten free and LOVED this product. I don't think there is another one out there. So upset. Can't even find any boxes anywhere.

By Deb 11/1/2015 4:24:25 PM
I love this oatmeal and was asking my supermarket if they were getting more in when they told me it was discontinued. I wish I had known, I would have purchased every box that was left. Please bring it back!

By Michelle 11/1/2015 12:53:49 PM
I agree with all the other comments this was a great product and made breakfast so much tastier and easier. I am so sad to see it go so soon. Bring it back!

By Mary 10/29/2015 2:05:20 PM
This oatmeal was a thousand percent better than Quaker and I loved it. Please reconsider putting it back on the market. My picky son even loved it. I am so disappointed this has been discontinued.

By julie franke 10/28/2015 10:30:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. This is great oatmeal and I bought it out every time I saw on the shelf. Very sad.

By Karen Paletta 10/26/2015 12:04:36 PM
I love this Oatmeal and have bought several boxes. I am very sad this Oatmeal agreed with me and several other gluten free brands did not work. I sure hope you bring this product back. Do you happen to have any to sell?

By Dina 10/26/2015 1:48:25 AM
I am so sorry that this is being discontinued. I am NOT gluten intolerant but I tried this product and love it. I don't like regular oatmeal. It doesn't agree with me. I have tried many different ones. But I really love the way this tastes and makes me feel good after I eat it. I was so relieved to find this product and now... WowI am so disappointed. Really hope you will change your mind about it.

By Katalin Korossy 10/24/2015 8:49:54 PM
I am really sorry to hear about the discontinuation of GF Chex Oatmeal. I loved this product and will miss it very much.

By Maritsa 10/22/2015 8:32:32 AM
I am very disappointed that they are discontinuing the Gluten free oatmeal!! I eat oatmeal every morning and am not able to have the regular oatmeals.The chex Gluten free original was my favorite, very upsetting that I will no longer be able to purchase. Seems that everything that I find that goes good for my stomach always ends up being discontinued.

By Jill Cook 10/21/2015 1:51:05 PM
that is too bad, we actually LOVE your gluten free oatmeal. I wish you would re-consider. thank you

By Joanne Shenkoff 10/20/2015 9:16:33 PM
I'm devastated. I've been eating your oatmeal almost every morning for more than a year. Tried your apple cinnamon Cheerios--very good but the oatmeal is better. I have celiac with a sensitivity to soy. The other gluten free cereals are tasteless. It is a real disappointment that you are canceling it

By jerry williams 10/18/2015 7:19:03 PM
Hello i've been looking all over for the Chex Oatmeal my daughter age 6 with celiac loves this for breakfast if you could please let me know where i can find it i will pay for it and have it shipped thank you

By Maria uribe 10/16/2015 11:53:49 PM
I am devestated to find out you will no longer be making one of the few food item that I can actually eat and enjoy the flavor without it attacking my immune system. Please consider all people like me.

By olga 10/16/2015 6:50:49 PM
where can i get the original flavor of gluten free chex oatmeal not in packs in one lb bag

By Melanie Collins 10/16/2015 3:04:50 PM
I buy both a box of apple cinnamon and maple and brown sugar oatmeal every time I go grocery shopping. I have tried many other gluten-free varieties that haven't even compared to how yummy these were. Others have things like flax seed and quinoa that doesn't always sit well with me. You didn't even give these a chance. They were never properly advertised and instead of labeling them gluten free and hiding them way up on the top shelf; they should have been marketed the same way you did the with the Cheerios campaign...NEW Chex Oatmeal "Naturally Gluten Free". Please reconsider this move.

By Betty Jo Reed 10/13/2015 6:29:38 PM
I'm so bummed. I just found your GF oatmeal. It was so good as I am celiac. I can't believe it's being discontinued.

By Mike Lentine 10/12/2015 6:35:55 PM
I can't believe it!!!! I was so thrilled to discover this oatmeal! I have it every single day with blueberries. Heading out now to all of the local stores to buy them out. I hope it will last in my pantry!

By Crystal Rodriguez 10/12/2015 9:57:16 AM
Very sad... This was my breakfast.

By Rhonda Chase 10/9/2015 5:29:35 PM
Very disappointed in your decision to stop making the gluten free oats. my daughter is only able to eat a limited selection of food and your maple brown sugar oats was one thing she could and did eat every single day. I am begging you to reconsider and again put your gluten free maple brown sugar oats back on the shelves again. Please for my daughter's sake.

By Sandy Stevens 10/8/2015 11:00:24 PM
i am very disappointed in the discontinuation of his item. It seems every time my son with celiac and EOE finds a food he likes it ends up being discontinued. One problem might have been this product was not kept in the GF section but with the regular oatmeal in every store I purchased it at. If more consumers who have celiac found it in the GF section, it probably would have sold like crazy... Irritated :(

By Rhonda Townley 10/6/2015 3:15:49 PM
I am very disappointed at the discontinuing of the Chex Oatmeal. It was by far the best gluten free oatmeal I have had and hope that General Mills will consider making this delicious product once again. I am a avid oatmeal eater and since I found out I have Celiac Disease I was not able to find a good one until this brand came out. Please reconsider!

By Rhonda Wallace 9/28/2015 8:32:03 PM
I am very upset about the halting of production with your new oatmeal line. I for one love the original brand and have been purchasing ever since I saw it on my grocery store shelve. As a person with Celiac, it is sometimes hard to find a good product that is reasonably priced.

By fran augustine 9/20/2015 9:25:46 PM
the Chex gluten free apple cinnamon is our favorite of all on the market.. can it purchase on-line ? One local retail listed it as a clearance item..First this to sell out early.

By Mary Andrea 9/6/2015 9:17:48 PM
While I am thrilled at the prospect of GF Cheerios, I am concerned about the sorting process, Cross contamination would be present if the grains come in contact with one another. I do appreciate the educational aspect of your ads. More people need to be aware of the dangers to those of us with Celiac Disease. I'll keep an open mind and read more on what the experts in Celiac Disease have to say. Mary A.

By Mary K Watters 9/6/2015 7:54:30 PM
the GM GF Maple and brown sugar oatmeal is my daily breakfast. I don't believe there's been enough advertising, I didn't see any till just recently and I found this product on my own. And I would further like to add that I just seen your commercial for the grain separating method that now allows for gluten free Cheerios: hmmm I have Celiac Disease and this would still be dangerous because of cross-contamination. Thank you