Improve taste in reduced-sugar beverages

by Jeff Gelski
Share This:

The new SymLife Sweet ingredient enhances the sweetness of sugars, sugar alcohols (polyols) and sweeteners to improve mouthfeel and heighten the taste of reduced-sugar beverages, according to Symrise, Holzminden, Germany.

"SymLife Sweet comes at the perfect time to generate high impact taste in reduced-sugar, low brix beverages targeted to kids, teens and adults who are concerned about obesity and its impact on maintaining overall good health," said Emmanuel Laroche, vice-president of marketing services and sensory consumer science North America.

SymLife Sweet is part of Symrise’s Taste for Life branding platform. It contains no artificial sweeteners and is effective in multiple beverage applications, according to Symrise. It may replace up to 30% of sweetness in carbonated still juices, energy drinks, dry, isotonic and alcoholic varieties. It is available in two versions: regular and low pH stable, said Dr. John Cavallo, senior vice-president for Symrise’s strategic business unit for beverages.

"Up to now, it’s been a challenge to achieve desirable tastes in reduced-sugar formulations without relying on sugar replacements or artificial sweeteners," Mr. Cavallo said. "Our patented SymLife Sweet requires a carbohydrate in order to function, resulting in the interaction with sweetener receptors on the tongue that stimulate the sweet sensations that consumers are looking for.

"We took an innovative approach through the integration of our taste receptor research and non-volatile analytical methodologies."

For more information, visit

This article can also be found in the digital edition of Food Business News, April 1, 2008, starting on Page 60. Click
here to search that archive.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.