ConAgra makes 'last' attempt to buy Ralcorp

by Eric Schroeder
Share This:

OMAHA — ConAgra Foods Inc. late Tuesday said it plans to withdraw its approximately $5.18 billion offer for St. Louis-based Ralcorp Holdings, Inc. by Sept. 19 if the company doesn’t “engage in a constructive dialogue.”

ConAgra has sent Ralcorp a presentation on the merits of its $94-a-share bid, but so far Ralcorp, the maker of Post cereals, has rejected three offers from ConAgra, the latest coming in August. Earlier, Ralcorp shunned bids of $86 per share and $82 per share.

Instead, Ralcorp has said it plans to spin off its Post Foods unit to focus on making private label foods.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.