September nonfat dry milk outturn down from 2007

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — September production of nonfat dry milk was down while production of skim milk powders was up significantly, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest
Dairy Products report .

Nonfat dry milk production in September was 86,266,000 lbs, down 4% from September 2007 and down 25% from August 2008, but output of skim milk powders was 38,868,000 lbs, up 161% from last year and up 46% from a month earlier.

Total dry whey production was 83,155,000 lbs, down 6% from last year’s level. Production of lactose was 58,776,000 lbs, down 4%, and total whey protein concentrate production was 33,460,000, up 7% from September 2007, the U.S.D.A. said. Dry buttermilk outturn was 5,695,000 lbs, up 11% from a year ago.

Total manufacturers’ stocks of dry whey on Sept. 30 were 65,895,000 lbs, down 8% from a year ago, and included 59,710,000 lbs for human use, down 6%, and 6,185,000 lbs for animal use, down 24%. Whey protein concentrate stocks totaled 34,157,000 lbs, up 27% from a year ago. Total lactose stocks were 91,323,000 lbs, up 42% from a year ago.

Butter production in September was 121,245,000 lbs, up 7% from September 2007 and up 5% from August 2008.

Cheese production in September totaled 795,347,000 lbs, up 2% from a year ago but down 3% from August 2008.

Production of regular hard ice cream in September was 76,023,000 gallons, up 8% from the previous year. Low-fat ice cream production was 30,641,000 gallons, up 1% from the previous year.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.