October chicken, egg and cheese stocks up

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Chicken, egg and cheese stocks in freezers on Oct. 31 were higher than year-earlier levels but red meat, turkey and butter supplies were lower, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Total chicken stocks on Oct. 31 were 733,500,000 lbs, up 3% from September and up 15% from October 2009, the U.S.D.A. said. Frozen turkey stocks totaled 417,389,000 lbs, down 12% from September and down 19% from October 2009. Total frozen poultry supplies were 1,154,306,000 lbs, down 3% from September and down slightly from year- ago levels, the U.S.D.A. said.

Frozen pork stocks on Oct. 31 totaled 478,181,000 lbs, up 13% from September but down 7% from October 2009, the U.S.D.A. said. Frozen pork belly stocks were 23,225,000 lbs, up 382% from September but down 37% from October 2009. Beef stocks in freezers totaled 402,003,000 lbs, up 1% from September but down 6% from October 2009. Total frozen red meat supplies were 902,681,000 lbs, up 7% from September but down 7% from the previous year.

Oct. 31 butter stocks were 108,165,000 lbs, down 17% from September and down 43% from October 2009. Total natural cheese stocks were 1,036,888,000 lbs, down slightly from levels in September but up 7% from October 2009.

Total frozen egg stocks at the end of October were 25,453,000 lbs, down 2% from September but up 11% from October 2009. Stocks of egg whites were 3,187,000 lbs, down 10% from September and down 9% from the previous year. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 848,000, up 31% from September but down 33% from the previous year. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 7,957,000 lbs, down 5% from September and down 13% from October 2009. Unclassified egg stocks totaled 13,461,000 lbs, down slightly from September but up 49% from a year ago.

Frozen vegetable stocks totaled 2,641,019,000 lbs, up 4% from September but down 3% from October 2009. Stocks of frozen french fries were 916,192,000 lbs, up 7% from September but down 3% from the previous year.

Oct. 31 stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 907,014,000 lbs, down 13% from September and down 21% from October 2009. Stocks of all types of frozen fruit on Oct. 31 totaled 1,293,902,000 lbs, up 16% from September but down 14% from the previous year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage on Oct. 31 were 5,690,607,000 lbs, up 78% from September but down 6% from the previous year, the U.S.D.A. said.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.