December butter, cheese, egg stocks up from 2008

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Frozen stocks of butter, cheese and eggs on Dec. 31, 2009, were greater than year-earlier levels, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Butter stocks were 113,663,000 lbs, down 6% from levels in November but up 12% from December 2008. Total natural cheese stocks were 966,911,000 lbs, up 1% from November and up 13% from December 2008.

Total frozen egg stocks on Dec. 31 were 24,347,000 lbs, up 15% from November and up 8% from December 2008. Stocks of egg whites were 2,540,000 lbs, up 39% from the previous month but down 18% from the previous year. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 1,124,000 lbs, up 54% from the previous month but down 7% from the previous year. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 7,123,000 lbs, up 21% from November 2009 but down 21% from December 2008. Unclassified egg stocks totaled 13,560,000 lbs, up 6% from November and up 45% from a year earlier.

Turkey stocks totaled 250,178,000 lbs, up 7% from November but down 37% from December 2008, and total chicken stocks were 631,168,000 lbs, down 4% from the previous month and down 18% from the previous year. Total frozen poultry supplies were 884,912,000 lbs, down 1% from November and down 24% from December 2008, the U.S.D.A. said.

Total red meat supplies were 927,938,000 lbs, down 1% from November and down 14% from the previous year. Total frozen beef stocks were 429,715,000 lbs, nearly equal to levels during the previous month but down 13% from the previous year. Frozen pork stocks totaled 474,845,000 lbs, down 2% from the previous month and down 15% from the previous year. Frozen pork belly stocks were 57,954,000 lbs, up 30% from November and up 12% from a year ago.

Total frozen vegetable stocks were 2,464,291,000 lbs, down 5% from November but up 4% from a year earlier.

Stocks of frozen french fries were 856,714,000 lbs, down 4% from November and down 2% from December 2008.

Stocks of all types of frozen fruit totaled 1,331,545,000 lbs, down 7% from November 2009 but up 7% from the previous year.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 1,185,598,000 lbs, up 5% from the previous month and up 9% from the previous year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage totaled 4,893,486,000 lbs, down 13% from November and down 7% from December 2008.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.