March cheese stocks up, meat down from 2009

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Frozen stocks of cheese and eggs on March 31 were greater than year-earlier levels, while meat and butter stocks were lower, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Total natural cheese stocks on March 31 were 1,000,778,000 lbs, up 2% from February 2010 and up 9% from March 2009, the U.S.D.A. said. Butter stocks were 196,585,000 lbs, down 3% from February and down 7% from March 2009.

Total frozen egg stocks at the end of March were 21,608,000 lbs, down 10% from February but up 6% from March 2009. Stocks of egg whites were 4,100,000 lbs, up 26% from February and up 50% from March 2009. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 590,000 lbs, down 8% from the previous month and down 43% from the previous year. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 5,531,000 lbs, down 15% from February and down 32% from March 2009. Unclassified egg stocks totaled 11,387,000 lbs, down 17% from February but up 35% from the previous year.

Turkey stocks totaled 379,135,000 lbs, up 11% from February but down 26% from March 2009, and total chicken stocks were 619,850,000 lbs, down 1% from the previous month and down 2% from the previous year. Total frozen poultry supplies were 1,002,657,000 lbs, up 3% from February but down 13% from the previous year, the U.S.D.A. said.

Total red meat supplies were 925,111,000 lbs, down 2% from February and down 11% from the previous year. Total frozen beef stocks were 390,524,000 lbs, down 3% from February and down 8% from the previous year. Frozen pork stocks totaled 510,482,000 lbs, down 1% from the previous month and down 14% from the previous year. Frozen pork belly stocks were 58,855,000 lbs, up 6% from February but down 19% from March 2009.

Total frozen vegetable stocks were 1,960,387,000 lbs, down 9% from February but up 7% from the previous year.

Stocks of frozen french fries were 891,731,000 lbs, down 2% from February and down 10% from March 2009.

Stocks of all types of frozen fruit totaled 1,016,713,000 lbs, down 10% from February but up 12% from last year.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 1,304,809,000 lbs, up slightly from the previous month and up 1% from the previous year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage totaled 2,605,007,000 lbs, down 23% from February and down 9% from March 2009.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.