Frozen cheese, egg, chicken stocks up from 2009

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Frozen stocks of cheese, eggs and chicken on May 31 were greater than year-earlier levels while butter and red meat stocks were lower, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Total natural cheese stocks on May 31 were 1,018,665,000 lbs, up 1% from April and up 5% from May 2009, the U.S.D.A. said. Butter stocks were 211,528,000 lbs, up 3% from April but down 16% from a year earlier.

Total frozen egg stocks at the end of May were 22,426,000 lbs, up slightly from April and up 3% from May 2009. Stocks of egg whites were 2,291,000 lbs, down 36% from the previous month and down 22% from the previous year. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 596,000 lbs, up 14% from April but down 45% from May 2009. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 6,956,000 lbs, up 19% from April but down 26% from May 2009. Unclassified egg stocks totaled 12,583,000 lbs, up 1% from a month earlier and up 51% from the previous year.

Total chicken stocks were 699,514,000 lbs, up 11% from April 2010 and up 9% from May 2009. Turkey stocks totaled 470,451,000 lbs, up 11% from April but down 20% from May 2009. Total frozen poultry supplies were 1,174,464,000 lbs, up 11% from April but down 5% from May 2009, the U.S.D.A. said.

Total red meat supplies were 841,498,000 lbs on May 31, down 4% from April and down 18% from a year earlier. Total frozen beef stocks were 363,816,000 lbs, down 2% from April and down 13% from May 2009. Frozen pork stocks totaled 448,321,000 lbs, down 7% from April and down 23% from May 2009. Frozen pork belly stocks were 43,736,000 lbs, down 12% from April and down 44% from May 2009.
Frozen vegetable stocks (excluding potatoes) totaled 1,615,840,000 lbs, down 11% from the previous month but up 3% from the previous year. Stocks of frozen french fries were 891,641,000 lbs, up slightly from the previous month but down 8% from the previous year.

Stocks of all types of frozen fruit totaled 900,686,000 lbs, down 7% from April and down 1% from May 2009.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 1,434,241,000 lbs, up 4% from the previous month but down 4% from the previous year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage on May 31 totaled 1,366,000,000 lbs, down 29% from April 2010 and down 7% from May 2009.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.