March cheese, red meat stocks up from year ago

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Chicken, cheese, red meat and egg stocks in freezers on March 31, 2011, were higher than year-earlier levels, but turkey and butter stocks were lower, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Natural cheese stocks on March 31, 2011, totaled 1,033,243,000 lbs, down slightly from February but up 3% from March 2010. March 2011 butter stocks were 144,439,000 lbs, up 4% from a month earlier but down 26% from a year ago.

Total chicken stocks on March 31, 2011, were 695,802,000 lbs, down 3% from February but up 13% from March 2010, the U.S.D.A. said. Frozen turkey stocks totaled 331,063,000 lbs, up 15% from February but down 13% from March 2010. Total frozen poultry supplies were 1,033,041,000 lbs, up 2% from February but up 3% from March 2010.

Total frozen red meat supplies on March 31, 2011, were 1,042,666,000 lbs, down 1% from February but up 13% from the previous year. Frozen pork stocks on March 31, 2011, totaled 577,198,000 lbs, up 1% from February and up 12% from March 2010. Frozen pork belly stocks were 52,521,000 lbs, up 3% from February but down 11% from March 2010. Beef stocks in freezers totaled 448,828,000 lbs, down 2% from February but up 17% from March 2010.

Frozen egg stocks on March 31, 2011, totaled 27,291,000 lbs, down 3% from February but up 26% from March 2010. Stocks of egg whites were 3,658,000 lbs, up 10% from February but down 11% from March 2010. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 2,014,000 lbs, down 7% from February but up 241% from March 2010. Whole and mixed egg stocks were 6,584,000 lbs, down 9% from February but up 19% from March 2010. Unclassified egg stocks were 15,035,000 lbs, down 2% from February but up 32% from March 2010 levels.

Stocks of frozen french fries on March 31 were 878,085,000 lbs, down 2% from February and down 1% from March 2010. Frozen vegetable stocks totaled 1,741,662,000 lbs, down 10% from February and down 11% from March 2010.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate on March 31, 2011, were 841,987,000 lbs, down 3% from February and down 35% from March 2010. Stocks of all types of frozen fruit on March 31, 2011, totaled 847,656,000 lbs, down 11% from February and down 16% from the previous year.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.