May cheese, red meat stocks up from year ago

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Cheese, chicken, egg and red meat stocks in freezers on May 31 were higher than year-earlier levels, but turkey and butter stocks were lower, the U.S. Department of Agricultures said in its latest Cold Storage report.

Natural cheese stocks on May 31 totaled 1,048,512,000 lbs, up 1% from April and up 2% from May 2010, the U.S.D.A. said. May 2011 butter stocks totaled 170,413,000 lbs, up 20% from the previous month but down 20% from a year ago.

Total chicken stocks on May 31, 2011, were 760,357,000 lbs, up 3% from April and up 10% from May 2010, the U.S.D.A. said. Frozen turkey stocks totaled 443,863,000 lbs, up 22% from April but down 4% from May 2010. Total frozen poultry supplies were 1,209,674,000 lbs, up 9% from April and up 4% from May 2010.
Total frozen red meat supplies were 1,017,840,000 lbs, up 1% from April and up 21% from the previous year.

Frozen pork stocks totaled 545,109,000 lbs, down 1% from April but up 22% from May 2010. Frozen pork belly stocks were 56,538,000 lbs, up 6% from April and up 28% from May 2010. Beef stocks in freezers totaled 453,778,000 lbs, up 2% from April and up 25% from May 2010.

Frozen egg stocks on May 31 totaled 28,907,000 lbs, up 4% from April and up 29% from May 2010. Stocks of egg whites were 2,127,000 lbs, down 43% from April and down 7% from May 2010. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 2,011,000 lbs, up 20% from April and up 237% from May 2010. Whole and mixed egg stocks were 6,298,000 lbs, up 5% from April but down 10% from May 2010. Unclassified egg stocks were 18,471,000 lbs, up 14% from April and up 47% from May 2010 levels.

Stocks of frozen french fries on May 31 were 847,876,000 lbs, down 1% from April and from May 2010. Frozen vegetable stocks (excluding potatoes) totaled 1,487,456,000 lbs, down 7% from April and down 8% from May 2010.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate on May 31, 2011, were 864,487,000 lbs, up 4% from April but down 40% from May 2010. Stocks of all types of frozen fruit on May 31, 2011, totaled 762,897,000 lbs, down 1% from April and down 15% from last year.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.