February nonfat dry milk output up 55% from 2011

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — February production of edible nonfat dry milk was 170,735,000 lbs, up 11% from January and up 55% from February 2011, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Dairy Products report.

Manufacturers’ stocks of edible nonfat dry milk on Feb. 29, 2012, were 196,283,000 lbs, up 24% from January and up 59% from February 2011. February nonfat dry milk shipments were 129,412,000 lbs, down 17% from January but up 19% from February 2011.

February 2012 had one extra day than in 2011 due to leap year.

Output of skim milk powders was 18,233,000 lbs, down 54% from January and down 50% from the previous year. Total dry whey production was 89,271,000 lbs, down 7% from January but up 9% from February 2011. Production of lactose was 80,552,000 lbs, down 7% from January but up 8% from February 2011. Whey protein concentrate production totaled 35,699,000 lbs, down 8% from January but up 12% from February 2011. Dry buttermilk outturn was 10,658,000 lbs, down 16% from January but up 23% from February 2011.

Total manufacturers’ stocks of dry whey on Feb. 29, 2012, were 51,414,000 lbs, down 1% from January but up 6% from February 2011. Total lactose stocks were 68,760,000 lbs, up 7% from January but down 9% from February 2011. Whey protein concentrate stocks totaled 40,714,000 lbs, down 3% from January but up 23% from February 2011. Dry buttermilk stocks totaled 19,684,000 lbs, up 7% from January and up 31% from February 2011.

Butter production in February 2012 was 170,142,000 lbs, down 6% from January but up 14% from February 2011.

Total cheese production was 857,762,000 lbs, down 6% from January but up 6% from February 2011.
Production of regular hard ice cream was 62,955,000 gallons, up 14% from January and up 2% from February 2011. Low-fat ice cream production was 30,520,000 gallons, up 7% from January and up 9% from February 2011.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.