April poultry, red meat, egg, butter stocks up

by Allison Sebolt
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Frozen stocks of turkey, chicken, pork, beef, eggs and butter in warehouses on April 30 were greater than year earlier levels, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Cold Storage report (click here to read report).

Total butter stocks were 253,642,000 lbs, which was up 13% from last month and up 3% from April 2007. Total natural cheese stocks were 544,750,000 lbs, which was up 4% from last month but down 7% from last year.

Frozen stocks of egg whites were 2,946,000 lbs, up 2% from last month and equal to levels last year. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 909,000 lbs, down 5% from last month and 4% from last year. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 7,486,000 lbs, up 17% from last month and 26% from last year.

Total chicken stocks were 753,427,000 lbs, down 1% from last month but up 24% from last year. Total turkey stocks were 492,738,000 lbs, up 15% from last month and 37% from last year. Overall, total frozen poultry supplies were 1,249,481,000 lbs, up 4% from last month and 28% from last year.

Total red meat supplies were 1,104,502,000 lbs, up 1% from last month and 14% from last year. Total frozen beef stocks were 429,289,000 lbs, up 1% from last month and 3% from last year. Total supplies of pork bellies were 100,376,000 lbs, up 1% from last month and 62% from last year. At 652,220,000 lbs, total pork supplies were equal to levels last month and up 23% from last year.

In other stocks, there were 87,314,000 lbs of frozen apples, up 7% from last month but down 9% from last year. Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 1,210,677,000 lbs, up 17% from last month and 34% from last year. Stocks of frozen french fries were 900,859,000 lbs, up 2% from last month and 3% from last year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage totaled 1,698,593,000 lbs, down 29% from last month but up 3% from last year.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.