December egg product output up 2% from 2007
February 02, 2009
by Allison Sebolt
WASHINGTON — The total amount of edible liquid product from shell eggs broken in December was 209,898,000 lbs, up 1% from November and up 2% from the previous year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in its latest Egg Products report.
December production of edible whole eggs was 136,361,000 lbs, down 1% from the previous year; liquid whites were 48,458,000 lbs, up 9%; liquid yolks were 25,079,000 lbs, up 3%; and inedible product totaled 17,982,000 lbs, down 2%, the U.S.D.A. said.
Edible liquid product produced for the full-year 2008 totaled 2,675,100,000 lbs, up 3% from 2007, the U.S.D.A. said. Liquid whole eggs totaled 1,709,414,000 lbs, up 2% from the previous year; liquid whites were 631,157,000 lbs, up 5%; liquid yolks were 334,529,000 lbs, up 4%; and inedible products were 231,629,000 lbs, up 2%.
Shell eggs broken in December totaled 162,708,000 dozen, up 2% from the previous year and from November 2008, the U.S.D.A. said. Shell eggs broken in the January-December year totaled 2,047,776,000 dozen, up 3% from 2007.