Nonfat dry milk production in January was 156,182,000 lbs, up 1% from December 2008 and up 31% from January 2008. Output of skim milk powders was 17,663,000 lbs, down 61% from the previous year and down 1% from the previous month.
Manufacturers’ stocks of edible nonfat dry milk were 203,500,000 lbs, up 22% from the previous year.
Total dry whey production was 88,424,000 lbs, down 4% from the previous year. Production of lactose was 60,270,000 lbs, down 3%, and total whey protein concentrate production was 34,200,000 lbs, up 4% from January 2008, the U.S.D.A. said. Dry buttermilk outturn was 7,805,000 lbs, up 7% from a year ago.
Total manufacturers’ stocks of dry whey on Jan. 31 were 59,639,000 lbs, down 12% from the previous year, and included 57,411,000 lbs for human use, down 9%, and 2,228,000 lbs for animal use, down 56%. Whey protein concentrate stocks totaled 33,355,000 lbs, up 5% from the previous year. Total lactose stocks were 96,336,000 lbs, up 38% from the previous year. Dry buttermilk stocks were 10,413,000 lbs, down 33% from the previous year.
Butter production in January was 174,741,000 lbs, up 4% from January 2008 and up 12% from December 2008.
Cheese production in December totaled 820,964,000 lbs, up 1% from the previous year but down 4% from December 2008.
Production of regular hard ice cream in January was 58,159,000 gallons, down 8% from the previous year. Low-fat ice cream production was 23,726,000 gallons, down 4% from the previous year.