October poultry, pork, cheese stocks up from year ago

by FoodBusinessNews.net Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — Frozen stocks of turkey, chicken, pork and cheese in warehouses on Oct. 31 were greater than year earlier levels, according to the latest Cold Storage report (click here to read report) from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Total red meat supplies on Oct. 31 were 1,004,857,000 lbs, up 2% from the previous month and equal to levels a year earlier, according to the U.S.D.A. Total frozen beef stocks were 463,037,000 lbs, up 3% from September but down 5% from Oct. 31, 2007. At 513,361,000 lbs, total pork supplies were up 1% from September and up 4% from a year ago. Frozen pork belly stocks were 22,725,000 lbs, up 7% from the previous month and 12% from the previous year.

Total chicken stocks were 784,556,000 lbs, up 3% from September and up 13% from the previous year. Total turkey stocks were 571,219,000 lbs, down 8% from the previous month but up 37% from October 2007. Overall, total frozen poultry supplies were 1,357,557,000 lbs, down 2% from the previous month but up 22% from the previous year.

Frozen stocks of egg whites were 2,740,000 lbs, down 11% from September 2008 and 10% from October 2007. Frozen egg yolk stocks were 845,000 lbs, down 25% from the previous month and down 35% from the previous year. Whole and mixed egg stocks came in at 8,256,000, down 7% from the previous month but up 23% from October 2007.

Total butter stocks were 149,413,000 lbs, down 20% from the previous month and down 24% from the previous year. Total natural cheese stocks were 823,468,000 lbs, down 1% from September but up 2% from the previous year.

Stocks of frozen orange juice concentrate were 1,085,430,000 lbs, down 10% from September but up 86% from October 2007. Stocks of frozen french fries were 957,305,000 lbs, up 3% from the previous month and up 5% from the previous year.

Fresh apples in regular and controlled storage totaled 6,428,675,000 lbs, up 101% from September and up 6% from a year ago.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.








The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.