F.D.A. no longer allows B.P.A. in children's products

by Staff
Share This:

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration has responded to a petition from the American Chemistry Council (A.C.C.) and taken action to no longer allow Bisphenol A (B.P.A.) in baby bottles and sippy cups.

“The action is in response to a food additive petition filed by the American Chemistry Council asserting that the use of B.P.A. to make baby bottles and infant training cups has been abandoned by the industry manufacturers,” said Curtis Allen, a spokesperson for the F.D.A. “The industry has stated publicly that it has abandoned its use in response to consumer preference. F.D.A.’s action is based on industry’s abandonment of these uses of B.P.A. The agency continues to support the safety of B.P.A. for use in products that hold food.”

The announcement was made in the Federal Register, and the A.C.C. sought such a decision to clarify for consumers that B.P.A. is no longer used in these products.

“Although governments around the world continue to support the safety of B.P.A. in food contact materials, confusion about whether B.P.A. is used in baby bottles and sippy cups had become an unnecessary distraction to consumers, legislators and state regulators,” said Steven G. Hentges of the Polycarbonate/BPA Global Group of A.C.C. “F.D.A. action on this request now provides certainty that B.P.A. is not used to make the baby bottles and sippy cups on store shelves, either today or in the future.”

The A.C.C. said B.P.A. is one of the most thoroughly tested chemicals and the consensus of government agencies across the world is that it is safe for use in food-contact materials. Yet due to consumer preference, manufacturers of baby bottles and sippy cups abandoned the chemical several years ago.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.



The views expressed in the comments section of Food Business News do not reflect those of Food Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.