STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN — PepsiCo, Inc. received the Stockholm Industry Water Award in recognition of its “innovative and outstanding water stewardship initiatives.” The award, given during World Water Week, honors the business sector’s contribution to sustainable water management, improved performance in production, and innovative approaches in water process technologies.
“PepsiCo is honored to accept this award from the Stockholm Industry Water Award Jury,” said Indra Nooyi, chairman and chief executive officer of PepsiCo. “This prestigious award is validation of our water conservation efforts. Reducing our water usage drives cost reductions and reduces our overall environmental footprint, and so we’re innovating to make the most of every drop of water used. These water reduction efforts are part of our overall Performance with Purpose strategy, which includes our promise to provide a wide range of foods and beverages for local tastes; to find innovative ways to minimize our impact on the environment by conserving energy and water and reducing packaging volume; to provide a great workplace for associates; and to respect, support and invest in the local communities where the company operates.”
PepsiCo was recognized for its efforts to conserve water across its business operations and agricultural supply chain including:
• Improving global water use efficiency by more than 20% per unit of production, achieving its water goal a full four years ahead of schedule.
• Conserving nearly 16 billion liters of water in 2011, from a 2006 baseline, through the application of water-saving equipment and technologies, creative recycling and re-use, and by deploying a water management system throughout its manufacturing facilities.
• Reducing water and energy related costs by more than $45 million in 2011, compared to 2006.
• Innovating a variety of agricultural practices and technologies around the world that are designed to reduce water use in farming through new irrigation techniques, and tools that help farmers deliver fertilizer and water to their crops at the most efficient time.
• Providing access to safe water for more than 1 million people with the PepsiCo Foundation and other partners.
“PepsiCo has successfully reduced water consumption in its production, and extended its commitment beyond the company’s own operations to help solve water challenges on a broad scale,” the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) Award Jury said when announcing the award. The jury added that, “PepsiCo’s water commitment has not stopped at the factory walls,” as the company has, “saved water all along its agricultural supply chain.”