NEW YORK — Following its recent Series D funding, direct-to-consumer meal business Daily Harvest is poised for significant expansion. The company, valued at $1.1 billion, has opened a brick-and-mortar store in Chicago and is offering on-demand delivery in select cities.  

Founded in 2016, Daily Harvest produces and ships a broad range of meals and snacks made with organic ingredients and no fillers, gums, refined sugars, stabilizers or artificial ingredients. Developed by an in-house team of chefs and nutritionists, products range from smoothies to flatbreads to chia bowls to soups to non-dairy frozen dessert and more. In January, the company unveiled Harvest Bakes, a new collection of ready-to-bake dishes featuring vegetables, legumes and whole grains.

Daily Harvest innovates rapidly, introducing new items in weeks rather than months, and partners with farmers to support organic and transitional organic farming practices.

“Daily Harvest has always been radically customer-driven, whether that means co-creating our food with the people who eat it or collaborating with our customers to generate new experiences,” said Rachel Drori, founder and chief executive officer. “Our mission is to help people eat more nourishing, sustainably-grown fruits and vegetables every day, to make people and the planet healthier.”

A key piece of this vision is the Tasting Room in Lincoln Park, where consumers may sample Daily Harvest products, receive consultations and purchase prepared items or explore custom meal plans, she said.

“There’s been an acceleration in the percentage of people accustomed to buying food online, from about 3% pre-pandemic to 30% today,” Ms. Drori said. “But that still leaves 70% of consumers who have not yet tried to buy food online. By meeting our customers offline and allowing them to taste our food, we know that we can continue to reach more people with our mission.”

Additionally, Daily Harvest has initiated partnerships with DoorDash, Uber Eats, GrubHub, Seamless and Postmates to provide local delivery in New York City, Philadelphia, Miami and Los Angeles. The company said it plans to expand to additional cities soon.

This past November, it was announced Daily Harvest raised $77 million in its Series D funding round, led by Lone Pine Capital with participation from Lightspeed Venture Partners and existing investors.

“With this investment, we will continue to anticipate the needs of our growing customer base, meeting them in new places with new food,” Ms. Drori said.